Friday, June 16, 2023

Flights? Extra days?

So, so far, all I've done is pay the deposit on my tour.  I have been researching flights.  I want my cake and to eat it too so I am making it too complicated.  There are two viable options for flights:  Air France or Air Ethiopia.  One connects in Paris and the other in Addis Ababa (I'll let you all figure out which is which).  Because I am me and super annoying, I thought, 'Hey, wouldn't a couple of days in Ethiopia be fun!".  I have an extra week of vacation approved already at the end of my tour.  Why not?  Well, I'll tell you why not.  

Air Ethiopia doesn't fly into Antananarivo every day.  I REALLY have to practice how to spell/say Antananarivo, it's the capital of Madagascar and the main airport.  But I digress (I think for the first time so everyone have a drink!).  Anyway, back to Antananarivo.  The only flight into Antananarivo from Vancouver (let's not even discuss Victoria which for some reason adds $2000 and an extra day to the itinerary - drink two!).  The only flight is three days and arrives the day of the tour start. AND there is a little warning on google flights about the connection in Addis Ababa often being late.  Umm, I don't have the stomach for that kind of risk.  

Air France, on the other hand, 22ish hours, one overnight, quick connect in Paris and then direct to Antananarivo.  Comparable price. Gets there a day before the tour starts (to allow me to go to the bird park!).  I tried every which way to Sunday to figure out how to land in Addis Ababa on the way back but it is too expensive for a whim (potential foreshadowing).  


vs 

I still haven't booked flights. I am doing this research in bits and bites because I am so busy at work right now and my evenings are all about social time. 

I was almost ready yesterday before I got invited to the pub.  But then I decided to wait one day because, even with points, this flight is going to cost me almost $1000 and if I waited that one extra day, it goes on my next visa bill.  Did I mention my travel budget is currently $0?  

But alas, that extra day...  Gave me time to think about what to do with that extra week of vacation days.  I looked at Atlas Obscura Madagascar.  Most of the 'cool, hidden and unusual things to do in Madagascar' are not in Antananarivo.  And you all remember my unhealthy obsession with dead people and my interest in the historical side of my vacation spots...?  Yea baby!, the PIRATES CEMETARY!


Where is this magical place you ask?  On an island off the east coast of Madagascar where I will be nowhere near.  


Is this possible?  Do I want to do this?  Yes, yes.  Is it worth it?  I have no idea.  Is it stupid and expensive?  Yes, yes.  Do I have to decide right away?  Kind of.  I have to book my return flight.  I can add a few days after the tour to allow for a trip to Ile St-Marie (where the graveyard is).  Of course, the airline that flies there, only flies there a couple of times a week.  So, I would have to plan my Air France return flight to work with my Air Madagascar (Tsardia) flights.  What could go wrong?  Oh, the return flight from Ila Sainte-Marie/Nosy Boraha gets cancelled and I miss my flight home from Antananarivo?  Ya, well, that could go wrong.  Hmmm.  More pondering required.  What did I say a mere three minutes ago about not having the stomach for risk?  

My brain hurts.  Here is a picture of a lemur to finish up.  (actually, not finished, more below the lemur)


Update.  So, I should know better but I discussed my plan with my friend Val who, as you all know, is my travel buddy.  She isn't coming on this trip but that doesn't stop her from wanting to live vicariously through me and also being a very bad influence.  She said - go to Pirate Cemetery.  You only live once (which is kind of a perfect reason to hang out in a cemetery I suppose). She did caution to check weather conditions because the only real danger (other than ghost pirates) is not getting back to Antananarivo on time for my flight home.  


I mean really!  Low wind, low rain, moderate temperatures.  Did I mention it is the end of whale migration season!  This is happening! 

As my friend Rita reminded me, plan backwards!  Excellent Advising Workshop advice!

So, first I booked a hotel on Ile Sainte-Marie (Nosy Boraha).  You know, just a little bungalow on the beach.  Nothing to see here.  Hotel Club Paradise.  That's the actual name!  Not just what it looks like! 



So, that important bit of business done.  Next I checked the dates of flights to get from Antananarivo to Sainte-Marie. They are only a couple of times a week.  My Madagascar tour ends on Oct 5.  A flight leaves on Oct 6.  So far so good.  Return flight on Oct 10.  Done and done.  Booked. 

Now that I have a non-refundable flight leaving from Antananarivo, I should probably get to Antananarivo.  Onto my RBC travel site.  I found an Air France flight with a connection in Paris going there. And a Delta/Air Kenya (but really Air France) flight on the way back with a layover in Nairobi and Paris.  It is that or a different flight with  tighter connections in Paris and Amsterdam.  This way I get one more hour in Paris to buy wine and cheese at the duty free.  I booked Oct 12 to come back, just in case there is any issue with the Sainte-Marie flight, I have one extra day to boat/car it back to Antananarivo.   

Next decisions.  Where to stay on those random extra days in Antananarivo.  But that will have to wait until I have some dinner.  

Here's a picture of Ile Sainte-Marie (north) and Ile aux Nattes (south).  

SCREAMS!!!  OH MY GOD!!!  FAINTS!

1 comment:

  1. You can always digress just don't talk about the Easter ceremony.

    ReplyDelete

Nosy Boraha/Ile Saint Marie

(I'm starting this in the Madagascar airport)  As discussed ad nauseam in my last post, I was delayed but finally made it to St Marie th...